Monday, August 4, 2014

All These Things I've Done

This weekend as I sat in the backseat of my parents' cat as we drove around doing errands, we drove through a collection of old, brick industrial buildings just two blocks from their house. And I remembered going to a party in one when I was 14.

They aren't industrial buildings at this point - they haven't been for a long time. The one I went to was an art gallery. We were welcome to see some of the art, but we were mostly confined art-less areas because where else do you trust a bunch of teenagers? Mostly we danced. It was one of the last nights we were performing our school musical, Damn Yankees, and one of the cast members' dad had a friend who gave up the space each year. I'd skipped the past the year before, but I didn't want to miss out on them that year.

So I went to a dance party in an art gallery at age 14.

Today a friend was talking about seeing an author, and mutual friend, at a cool event he was attending. Something about it triggered the memory of meeting J.K. Rowling. In 2012, she did one American event for The Casual Vacancy, and the author, myself, and another friend, worked together to buy tickets. Miscommunications and a ticket mess up left us with extra tickets that were passed on, one to the author's agent, and one to another author. Both authors that night were absolute favorites of mine. I didn't get to see one, but the one I did meet was just so grateful and kind and lovely. And all of us got to listen to the genius that is J.K. Rowling in Lincoln Center. It was a month before my birthday and I was just 17.

Remembering these two things so close together made me remember so many of the other amazing things I've been able to do. I've gone to a lunch in one of the Big 5 publishing houses. I've gone to parties in pent houses of famous buildings. I've taken my first solo trip. I've been to 5 conferences - including two NYCCs (soon to be 3). I've gotten invites to special movie screenings. I've been able to meet many, many other favorite authors, some of whom are also friends. I've been interviewed by a major outlet. I've seen several Broadway shows featuring some of my favorite big name actors, who I then met. I've worked in a landmark of NYC. I've gone out to eat with editors I respect. I've gone to my first concert with my favorite band. I've moved into my first apartment. I've started my own business. I've taken the Staten Island Ferry at sunset and walked the Brooklyn Bridge at night. I've been recognized by famous people. 

Maybe it's not an extraordinary life most days. It's a life where I sit at home in my pajamas a lot. It's a life where I work from my bed because it's the only furniture I have that can contain a human body. It's a life where I struggle to afford groceries some days and deal with massive anxiety on others about the stupidest things that are out of my control. 

It is not an easy life. But it's enabled me to do so much more than I ever could've imagined. I've learned so much and done things I never thought would be possible for me. It's extraordinary to me, who always pictured a very quiet, normal college experience like they have on TV. Or a very quiet, studious life like I thought might happen during my original dreams of NYU. I don't go to frat parties, but cocktail parties. I don't have this loud, huge group of friends on campus, but I always seem to find friends in classes and have a solid friend circle outside of campus and an amazing roommate.

My life is rather ordinary and boring most days. But then there are those extraordinary days. And I know I'd much rather have this life than any other...except maybe one just like this where I was more financially stable.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment