Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Little Things

As always seems to happen once a month, I find myself ready to be out of the city. Back with my parents and cats and brother, even if it means sleeping on a couch bed and losing control of what I get to do and eat each day. I still get to fall asleep each night with at least one cat curled up against me and not pay for food or laundry for a few days.

I thought I was going back to my parents tonight (last night? Suppose it depends on your definition of night and day). My mom was going to pick me up on her way back from her MRI or maybe my sister on her way from Virginia, but the weather looked like snow, so suddenly...maybe I wasn't. I tried checking in, but there was no response, so I packed before going to my night class. Cleaned my room up. Took out a lot of garbage. Did a lot of dishes. Made sure that if things were going as I thought and someone was waiting when I got back from class, I could just grab my laundry bag and my suit case and go.

Once my sister texted me while I was in class and said she was driving, could I call her back? I got hope that I was getting picked up. I rushed out the door, frustrated at my professor for continuing to babble ten minutes after ending her power point. I called my sister back but there was no answer. I went home. I played with my new make up and I read and I tried not to unpack anything, really. I moved my bags into the living room so I wouldn't have to navigate them while in a rush. Finally around 9:30, I gave in to how tired I was and lay down, planning on taking a series of 15 minute naps. with my phone by my head and my purse next to the pillow so when I got the call, I'd know and be able to grab my phone and its charger and go.

I woke up and it was 11:30. I didn't have any missed calls.

It's now going on 2 am and I've come to accept that nobody's coming tonight, so I've unpacked a couple of things and have to dig through my laundry bag for my pajamas and my towel and pull out my getting ready supplies and one of my books from my suitcase. I couldn't have another meal of just soup, so I went to Popeye's and ordered a crapload of carbs, including some food to act as breakfast/lunch tomorrow.

I think I'm mostly upset that she just...didn't acknowledge what was going on. I've been totally left in the dark today. I knew I called back half an hour later, but I also left a voice mail, explaining why and that I was ready to go, but was she coming? An answer would have saved me a lot of grief. And I am upset I'm not there. I told my brother I'd be there tonight, even though he probably wouldn't see me until he got home from school, anyway. But he has a half day and he expected me to be there when he got home around 1 and I wanted to be there and ready to watch some movies with him. I wanted to sleep with my cats tonight. I wanted a little bit of extra time with my parents before the crazy descends Thursday.

I wanted someone to tell me what was going on. It's not so much to ask to be kept informed about matters pertaining to yourself, is it?

Having had two hikes to class, one uphill and one upstairs, and two trips into the post office to make 4 since Friday, I've decided I get a bath. I suppose that's the upside to all of this, really. I can't take a bath at my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment